The information in the following section applies to vehicles that were titled out-of-state and the following situation exists:
- The vehicle owner moves to Florida
- The vehicle titled out-of-state changes/transfers ownership to a resident of Florida.
The following documentation must be provided:
- The out-of-state title certificate.
- A completed HSMV 82040
Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration. Note that often
sections of this form are left blank, resulting in an application that cannot be
processed. Please make sure the following items are complete:
- Section 1: Owner/Applicant Information. The vehicle owner’s Florida driver license number is required. If the vehicle is to be titled in a business name, please include the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEID)
- Section 2: Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Description section
- Section 6: Odometer Declaration
- Section 8: Motor Vehicle Identification Number Verification
- Section 12: Application Attestment and Signatures
- A copy of one of the following proof of identification:
- A Florida driver license or identification card with photo
- An out-of-state driver license or identification card with photo
- A US passport
- A Canadian driver license, identification card or passport
- A driver license or identification card from any U.S. Territory
- An out-of-country passport
Please note that while a copy of a Florida driver license or identification card IS NOT required to be submitted, it makes the process simpler. Find out more information about obtaining a Florida driver license.
- Proof of Florida insurance (a Florida insurance card, policy, or binder), or
- Bill of Sale. Evidence that the sales tax on the vehicle has been paid is necessary.
Click here for a Bill of Sale Form.
- As required by Chapter 212 of the Florida Statutes, sales tax in Florida is 6% on the balance of the purchase price, less trade in, if any.
- Some transactions such as gifts, trade down or even trade, court order in divorce proceedings, inheritance, transfer to/from spouse, change of name only, etc., may be exempt from sales tax.
- If the motor vehicle or mobile home was purchased and used less than 6 months in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the 6% sales or use tax, plus any local discretionary sales surtax is required to be paid before title and registration can be issued by the department. However, a credit may be allowed for a like tax paid in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, against the amount of Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax.
- The registrant's county of residence determines whether an additional local discretionary sales surtax is collected. For additional information view the Department of Revenue’s Discretionary Sales Surtax Information.
Verification of Vehicle Identification Numbers:
All used motor vehicles not currently titled in Florida** must have the vehicle identification number (VIN) verified on HSMV 82042 VIN and Odometer Verification by :
- a Florida motor vehicle dealer
- a law enforcement officer
- Florida notary public
- This service is also provided at any one of our five Seminole County Tax Collector locations, or any Florida Tax Collector office or DMV location.
- An out of state motor vehicle dealer may also perform this service, but only on their dealership letterhead.
** Effective 4/10/2000, all used vehicles coming into Florida from a foreign country must have the vehicle identification number verified by a DMV Compliance Examiner/Inspector prior to being titled, including dealer transactions. This DOES NOT include vehicles from American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Guam, or Puerto Rico. If a motor vehicle or mobile home was purchased in a foreign country, 6% Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required to be paid before a certificate of title and registration can be issued by the department. The amount upon which the tax is applied is the larger of:
- 80% of the loan value
- The fair market value on date of entry
- The outstanding lien on the motor vehicle at the time of entry into this state.
No credit is allowed for any sales or use tax paid to a foreign country.
Fast Title Service
For an extra cost, fast title service is available at all of our offices. If all documentation is correct (see the complete list of necessary documentation above), a certificate of title is produced in the office and is available upon conclusion of the transaction.