In order to maintain accurate records, and to help ensure that each registered owner receives a tag renewal notice, all changes of address, with the appropriate tag numbers, must be reported to the Tax Collector’s Office within 20 days.
In compliance with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles a change of address request must be submitted in writing by US mail, to the appropriate mailing address, or in person at any of our Tax Collector's office locations.
Registration Address Change Form
An updated registration will be provided at a charge of $5.50.
A duplicate title may be obtained by completing a HSMV 82101 Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate. It must be signed and submitted to the Tax Collector with the following:
NOTE: A copy of the applicant's Driver License must be attached.
- $75.75 for electronic title only.
- $78.25 to have the title printed and mailed.
- $85.75 if you wish to have this processed as a fast title.
If an outstanding lien exists, the lien holder must sign the application or attach a lien satisfaction. A lost in transit title may be applied for within 180 days of issuance, free of charge.
The Fast Title service is available for an additional fee of $10.00. Visit any one of our five office locations for an original title, title transfer or duplicate title while you wait.
If all documentation is correct, a Certificate of Title is produced in the office and is available upon conclusion of the transaction.
If the requester of the title is not the owner of the vehicle, the requester must have a Power of Attorney or an Authorization Affidavit from the vehicle owner.
Contact the Tax Collector’s Office for information on miscellaneous title applications and transfers such as Death of Owner, Court Orders, Change of Name, Repossessions, Rebuilt Vehicles, and Bankruptcy.
A Power of Attorney form may be required.
Mobile homes used for housing accommodations (other than
recreational vehicles) are renewed in December each year.
Numbered decals are issued for each side and the fees are determined by the length of the mobile home.
Non-resident military service personnel stationed under orders in Florida, living in a mobile home located in Florida, may purchase a decal for $8.60 upon presentation of orders.
All mobile homes or recreational vehicles permanently affixed to the owner’s land and declared as real property are issued special RP (Real Property) decals.
Owners must secure Form DR-402 from the Property Appraiser’s Office (in the county where the property is located) after showing proof of ownership and present it with a $5.10 fee to the Tax Collector’s Office.
Decals are permanent and transferable to a new owner when the mobile home and land are sold as a unit. NOTE: The owner's name(s) on the property tax roll must be IDENTICAL to the name(s) on the Mobile Home title.
All new vehicles must have a M.C.O. (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin) or M.S.O (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) which must be signed by a licensed dealer for transfer to buyer. The M.C.O. or M.S.O. is attached to HSMV 82040 Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration , which must be properly completed with owner’s complete name and Florida address, date of birth, sex, Driver license number, complete description of vehicle and any lien to be recorded. The odometer section of the M.S.O must be completed or an odometer statement attached.
- Checklist for New Vehicle Registration/New Residents
- Florida Residents on Military Assignment Outside of Florida
A $225.00 Initial Registration fee is imposed upon the first time a license plate is purchased for a vehicle. This applies to private automobiles, motor homes, pickups less than 5,000 pounds.
Verification of Vehicle Identification Numbers:
All used motor vehicles not currently titled in Florida** must have the vehicle identification number (VIN) verified on HSMV 82042 VIN and Odometer Verification by :
- a Florida motor vehicle dealer
- a law enforcement officer
- Florida notary public, or this service is also provided at any one of our five Seminole County Tax Collector locations, or any Florida Tax Collector office or DMV location .
- An out of state motor vehicle dealer may also perform this service, but only on their dealership letterhead.
** Effective 4/10/2000, all used vehicles coming into Florida from a foreign country must have the vehicle identification number verified by DMV Compliance Examiner/Inspector prior to being titled, including dealer transactions. This DOES NOT include vehicles from American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Guam, or Puerto Rico. If a motor vehicle or mobile home was purchased in a foreign country, 6% Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required to be paid before a certificate of title and registration can be issued by the department. The amount upon which the tax is applied is the larger of:
- 80% of the loan value
- The fair market value on date of entry
- The outstanding lien on the motor vehicle at the time of entry into this state.
No credit is allowed for any sales or use tax paid to a foreign country.
A Florida Insurance Affidavit is required to purchase a license plate in Florida. Personal injury protection (PIP) and (PDL) insurance in the amount of at least $10,000 each, is required. Commercial trucks require additional insurance. Contact the Tax Collector’s Office for information.
- As required by Chapter 212 of the Florida Statutes, sales tax in Seminole County is 6% on the balance of the purchase price, less trade in, if any.
- Some transactions such as gifts, trade down or even trade, order of court in divorce proceedings, inheritance, transfer to/from spouse, change of name only, etc., may be exempt from sales tax.
- If the motor vehicle or mobile home was purchased and used less than 6 months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the 6% sales or use tax, plus any local discretionary sales surtax is required to be paid before title and registration can be issued by the department. However, a credit may be allowed for a like tax paid in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, against the amount of Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax.
- The registrant's County of residence determines whether an additional local discretionary sales surtax is collected. For additional information view the Department of Revenue’s Discretionary Sales Surtax Information.
When you move, you must surrender your license plate and registration to one of the following:
- Any Florida Tax Collector.
- Any Florida Driver License office.
- Mail the license and registration to:
Bureau of Financial Responsibility
Neil Kirkman Building
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0585
Annual license taxes, for the operation of motor vehicle as defined in Florida Statutes 320.01 shall be paid upon registration or re-registration.
Title and registration fees are determined by several factors (type of plate purchased, vehicle weight, length of registration period, etc.)
A listing of all of the state user fee increases is available at the following links:
The following are 12-month rates with FIRST TIME Initial Registration fee of $225.00 plus a metal plate fee of $28.00:
AUTOMOBILE (Private Use):
- Weight under 2500 lbs.~ $46.65
- Weight 2500 through 3499 lbs.~ $57.65
- Weight 3500 lbs. And up ~$71.15
- Weight under 2000 lbs.~ $46.65
- Weight 2000 through 3000 lbs.~ $57.65
- Weight 3001 through 5000 lbs.~ $71.15
You may complete your title transaction at any Tax Collector's office. If Fast Title Service has not been requested, the new Certificate of Title will be printed by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles in Tallahassee and returned to you in 2 to 6 weeks.
If you have not received your new Certificate of Title in 6 weeks, please visit one of our offices or download a HSMV 82101 Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate.